Thursday 6 September 2012

Craving God

I decided to fast from coffee during the 24-7 prayer week.  My main drink is tea but over the past year I have got used to having a couple of coffees a day (a cappuccino from the coffee shop and a home-made coffee), and I have begun to anticipate my first coffee of the day more keenly – often as I drive to work.

It wasn’t too bad over the weekend (that was when I got the withdrawal headaches) but it has been a struggle at work.  Today I went for “coffee” with colleagues and in my head I said “large tea” but my voice said “large cappuccino”.  I got a bit flustered when they brought me the latter. I explained that I wasn’t drinking coffee this week (they didn’t ask why) and, because I’m a regular, they made me a tea and refunded me the difference.

What has this got to do with prayer? I have found that really crave coffee – as a pick-me-up; a “treat” in a difficult work situation; an energiser to get me through the day; even “because I’m worth it...”.  This week as I’ve yearned for coffee I’ve had to ask myself whether I crave God’s presence this way? Whether I crave His Word as much?

I’ve tried to turn these times of craving for coffee (for example, when an unwelcome email arrives in my mailbox) into an arrow prayer to God about the situation, and a further prayer that He would increase my hunger for Him. Therefore the physical reminder can be turned into a reminder of my dependence on God and a desire for more of Him.

Peter tells us to “crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation” (1 Peter 2:2).  However Paul (in 1 Corinthians 3:2) and the writer to the Hebrews (Hebrews 5:11-14) challenge us to move on from milk (for spiritual infants) to solid food.  This week has challenged me to deepen my walk with God and to spend more time in His Word. The 24-7 prayer room has been a haven for this – spending time there has been a blessing. I am challenged to create a space like this in my own life/home. 

As for my coffee habit?  I shall return to coffee at the weekend. But if I start to feel my passion for God is fading, it will be time to fast from coffee again.

Anon.

No comments: