Monday 26 November 2012

A Word from Habakkuk - Breathe Reading 20/11/12

Yesterday, The Lord lead me to read the whole book of Habakkuk so that I would get a clearer understanding of what the Prophet was facing.

Although I have had teaching on the book, and have read it several times before, I found myself engaging with it in a new way.

For some time now The Lord has been speaking to me about humbling myself before Him; which involves surrendering to Him every part of my life, every thought, every deed. It is a work in progress!

Whilst reading Habakkuk it struck me that in crying out to God for an answer Habakkuk received a reply which opened his eyes to the enormity of God's power and authority and what his response needed to be to it.

At the beginning of his intercession he says "Lord, I have heard the report about You and I fear" and goes on to say "In wrath remember mercy." (Ch 3:2). I noted that he does not ask God to stop the destruction, or tell God that He is wrong to do it. He sees God's actions as just and that God will be glorified in them.

Chapter 3 verse 16 jumped out at me, particularly the line "because I must wait quietly for the day of distress for the people to arise who will invade us."For me "waiting quietly" must have taken a huge amount of surrendering to God on Habakkuk's part when he was in such pain and anguish.

I believe that Habakkuk must have known God in a much deeper way than I do. His profession of faith and trust in God to sustain him in the waiting and in the time of distress is challenging to me.

So I pray:-

"Heavenly Father, Great and Awesome God, Creator of heaven and earth and all that is in them, may Your Name be exalted in my life, in who I am, in how I think, in what I do and say.

"Father thank you that You are making Yourself known to me in deeper and more intimate ways as I humble myself before You and surrender to Your will and purposes for me.

"Thank You that You are giving me eyes to see how much You love and care for me and the ways in which You undertake for me daily, in meeting all my needs. Such is Your generosity that You provide even more than this.

"Thank You Father that when I come to You in true repentance I can know Your full forgiveness and the freedom this brings. Thank You dear Lord that you are teaching me to acknowledge my sin before You sooner rather than later so that I am not weighed down by it and can live in the fullness of life Jesus died to give me.

"Thank You that You are enabling me to forgive others when they offend or hurt me. Thank You that as I realise my own need for forgiveness I can more readily forgive others.

"Thank You Father that You lead me in paths of righteousness for Your Name's sake. Thank You that You have the power and authority to deliver me from all evil.
So Father may I have the grace to surrender to You, particularly in times of testing and trials, so that I may resist the devil, see him flee and gain the victory. It is in Your Word I stand.

"Thank You that when I come to You You do not turn me away. Thank You Father that such is Your mercy and grace that You desire an intimate relationship with me. What love! What mercy! Father truly You are God and there is no other. Only You could do this.

"All praise and glory be to Your Holy Name.

"May Your will be done in my life to Your glory."

Amen.

FH

1 comment:

webmaster said...

Dear FH,

Please don't use proprietary HTML formatting in your blog post (e.g. Microsoft Outlook HTML), as this caused the ability to scroll the BREATHE blog to break (I've fixed it now). Please use plain text instead.

Many thanks,
Paul
email: webmaster@holytrinityleicester.org