Monday 18 June 2012

The cross-generational effect of prayer

Inspiring messages on Sunday from Dave Warren and James Gandon encouraging us to pray continually (without ceasing). Being Father’s Day I ‘phoned my dad in Norwich who is 91 next week and known the Lord for the last 46 years.

We reminded ourselves of the cross generational effect prayer has had in our family. He gently introduced his Saviour to my brother Peter and me and prayed for us continuously and persistently (and still does). Kerry and I have sought to do that with our sons.

Way back in 1937 as a young apprentice my dad’s friend Ken would share the Gospel with him. But as an atheist he didn’t want to know. Fast forward to 1966, five months after my parents separation this atheist randomly buys a second hand King James Bible and very shortly Jesus found dad.

News travelled across town to his old friend Ken who he hadn’t seen for years: ‘Remember Jack Dade, he’s become a Christian’. Ken, now a lay preacher simply remarked: ‘That’s good, I‘ve being praying for him for some time’ and remarked on this story in his next sermon - about prayer.

So my brother, I and my fab family Kerry, Jonny and Josh humbly stand before God in 2012 because a guy called Ken in 1937 prayed for my dad for nearly 30 years. I’m not sure about you but I get frustrated if my prayers are not answered after 30 hours let alone 30 years. That’s the effect and impact prayer can have across the generations. As I pondered it kind of blew me away. “Rejoice ALWAYS, pray CONTINUALLY” (1 Thessalonians 5:16, 17).

John Dade

1 comment:

Carl Robinson said...

Amen to that John! Great post!
Love Carl