Monday 27 February 2012

Giving Jesus credit

I often find it difficult to take a fresh perspective on a familiar story - my 'auto-pilot' takes over and my mind is already at the end of the story before my eyes have a chance to catch up. This Sunday morning we heard about Jesus' miracle at the wedding at Cana (John 2), and the powerful message it brings of change in our lives and in the world. I was struck, though, by the context of the miracle.



I'm no biblical historian, but my impression is that weddings in those days were big. What better place for Jesus to perform a miracle and thus burst onto the public stage with fanfare and a flourish ('shock and awe' tactics, if you will)? But the miracle was performed quietly, without fanfare, and with only the servants (whom Jesus ordered to fill the urns with water) as witnesses. The steward and the groom were then made aware that this excellent wine was available, but I don't think they grasped the full impact of what had happened. They would have thought it odd that the best wine was saved til last, but having been unaware that the wine had run out in the first place they don't seem to dwell on this irregularity too long. Meanwhile the guests were apparently none the wiser, and just continued to drink whatever was put in front of them!

Reading and hearing this passage I thought back to John's (McGinley that is) words regarding George Muller: "When we pray, coincidence happens". If I pray, and I see a 'coincidence', I was struck that I could be like the guests (and just carry on without taking any notice), like the steward and groom (remarking on it but not grasping the full significance), or like the servants who (I would imagine) were in absolute awe of what they had just witnessed and had no hesitation in attributing it all to Jesus. My prayer is that I could be like the servants and not 'explain away' answers to prayer but give thanks (and full credit) to Jesus for the the miracles He works in my life.

Jim Horn

No comments: